October 8, 2016 9:23 pm
Its Fall, Y’all…
As we welcome October, we will also welcome cooler weather, changing leaves, Thanksgiving feasts and pumpkin spice lattes….mmmm.
Fall also brings with it shorter days, falling leaves, cold rain and the sad inevitable slide into winter weather.
Here at the Insurance House, we would like to share some tips to get ourselves prepared for our friend Old Man Winter, as he approaches:
- Have your furnace inspected prior to the heating months
- Have your chimney cleaned and inspected by a professional prior to using a wood burning fireplace or stove for the first time this season
- Turn off outdoor faucets and remove hoses so that your pipes don’t freeze.
- Remove leaves and other debris from your downspouts and eavestroph to ensure water and melting snow is being diverted away from your home
- Put away outdoor furniture and appliances. If left outside and unsecured, not only can they come to be damaged in a storm, but could also contribute to damage to your home.
- Do not store propane tanks indoors or in attached garages.
- Get your car ready for winter. Keep an ice scraper and an extra pair of mittens in the car. Make sure your heating and defrost ventilation are in good order. Top up your windshield washer fluid with winter solution. Replace your windshield wiper blades. Install winter tires (and then call us to have the discount added to your policy).
So get out there and enjoy the season’s brisk air, cozy sweaters, scarves and boots and be sure to keep your rake handy.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Weekend and enjoy all our wonderful fall colours.